Sunday, December 18

A Thought or Two


Today I picked up the book Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Remen, one of my favorites. And of course I couldn't just reshelve it. I had to read for a while. A couple of thoughts from a very thoughtful woman:

Freedom may come not from being in control of life but rather with the willingness to move with the events of life, to hold on to our memories but let go of the past, to choose, when necessary, the inevitable. We can become free at any time.

Becoming numb to suffering will not make us happy. The part in us that feels suffering is the same as the part that feels joy.

And of course I couldn't reshelve the book without picking up My Grandfather's Blessing, where I found:

Perhaps real wisdom lies in not seeking answers at all. Any answer we find will not be true for long. An answer is a place where we can fall asleep as life moves past us to its next question. After all these years I have begun to wonder if the secret of living well is not in having all the answers but in pursuing unanswerable questions in good company.

No comments: