Saturday, March 11

Thelma and Louise 2



I drove Kate and Madeline to the airport this morning as they make their way to New York City over Madeline's spring break. Last year, Las Vegas. This year the Big Apple. Kate just called and they are on the plane. Adventure awaits!

Kate and Madeline's trip preparation and a bike ride I took yesterday with Peter got me thinking about one of the differences between people at 20 and at 50. As always happens when I ride bikes with Peter, I was slowing him down. He nicely waited for me for the first 7 or 8 miles, having told me that at some point he would ride on a bit faster and meet me at home. Before he increased his speed I asked him if he had a key to the house. He didn't. And it wouldn't have occured to him to think about a key until he got back to the house. Madeline packed for her New York trip this morning. Kate has been planning what to pack and where to go for weeks.

All of the thinking and planning we do as adults has a real benefit. Less chaos. Fewer surprises. And a real downside. Less chaos. Fewer surprises. Less openness to the present moment as we anticipate the moments to come.

No comments: