Thursday, September 22

A Strange Interlude

I was riding my bike home from work tonight when a strange thing happened. Unlike Aussie Micheal Rogers (who won the individual time trial at the world cycling championships today), I didn't have particularly "good legs." Still I was moving along the bike path at 13 or 14 mph. Not so bad for an old guy. But I kept hearing a strange sound. Soft but insistent. And getting louder. I had set my cell phone to vibrate & ring the other day, so I reached into the back pocket of my genuine cycling jersey for my phone. But it was silent.

Just then a man with longish gray hair cycled past me. Slim. Someone who chose to be uncharitable might say kind of scrawny. Older bike. I really don't worry about being passed on my bike. It happens all the time. But he was sitting up playing a harmonica. A cool moment, even if it was a little emasculating.


(Though it is on my bike route home, this photo really has nothing to do with this entry. I just like it.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bought a harmonica in New Orleans a few years ago... not knowing how to play it. But I sat there trying to play it. A large black woman came up to me and said "you go practice in private and stop ruining a nice afternoon for the rest of us."